Followers

Thursday 26 September 2013

RIP Richard Matheson And Donald Featherstone

I get back into blogging and suddenly I find that even more of my heroes and passing away. I suppose it should be a sign that I should seize the day.
Donald Featherstone died at the beginning of the month. The name may not mean a lot to none British gamers but he has been described as the grand daddy of British wargaming. I own a couple of his books and have done since I was a teenager. These were not books that would change your life but the did change wargaming. They were the point that modern wargaming really started. Most of the tabletop stuff we do today can trace it's origin back to Don Featherstone.

The writer Richard Matheson also  died recently. I seem to have done a few too many obituaries for my writing heroes in the last year or so. He is perhaps not  the most famous horror, fantasy or sci-fi author of all time but his work really does stand out particular was "I am Legend." I am guessing that if yu are reading this blog then you have probably heard of that. It's one of the best pieces of post apoclyptic writing. Good enough for it to be made into a film three times including the Omega Man. Many of his books have been turned into films, I am not sure of how much of a tribute this is but it says something about the reach of his work

2 comments:

  1. I think it is also a sign of getting older when we see our childhood heroes die. For me one significant RIP was Gerry Anderson who really made me the fan I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a huge Gerry Anderson fan. :) Then he did Terrahawks. Some sins are not so easy to forgive. :(

    I hadn't realised how old I was getting until some of my heroes0 started sying of old age.

    ReplyDelete