Followers

Saturday 15 September 2012

Dredd 3D

I want to see this during the week. I used to like Dredd as a kid but the previous film with Stallone really put me. It wasn't the plot it was Sy trying to be the big man himself.

I was impressed by Karl Urban who managed the carry off the quiet (if homicidal) dignity of Dredd. I guess it must be hard to act when you are prohibited from actually looking at anyone eyeball to eyeball but Urban manages it. It's difficult to explain it but whatever Dredd had, Urban has it too.



Olivia Thirlby was also a good choice for Judge Anderson. I haven't seen her in anything other than The Darkest Hour but she has been in a fair few chick flicks. She carried the role off and manages to be pretty cute throughout.

The images of mega city one are quite striking. Some could have come out of the comic and some remind me of the urban decay of the inner cities today. The state of urban decay is more sci-fi that post apocalypse but could give you a fairy nice world to model. Sadly you don't get to see a lot of the city but if you wanted to know what a City Block looked like then you will be able to see one now.
It feels very claustrophobic and dark which is what you would expect from a mega city with a population roughly twice that one modern day America.

Overall I was pretty impressed. Very dark and much darker than the original film. It has more of the flavour of Dredd that anything other than the comics. It'd not going to make it into my top ten all time films but may end up somewhere around eighty five.

No comments:

Post a Comment