Followers

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Star Wars Fan Fun Day

If you were going to tell me it was possible to have fun in Burnley last week I would have said you were insane. Yet someone chose Burnley for the Star Wars Fan Fun day. This is the kind of thing I would have given my right arm to go to when I was a kid. It was the obsession of all obsessions. My work room is still full of memorabilia even now. If I could really make a game of it, I think i would give it a try.

I have never been to a full on SF con and keep thinking I should. I just want to look at the women dressed as Princess Leia on Jabba's Barge. No seriously though, does anyone remember the opening scenes from Galaxy Quest?

Firstly I'll put up the funny pictures.

Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
Bounty Hunters? We don't need this scum.



Tthere were a lot of actors from the films here. Admittedly some were on the Star Wars D list such as the rebel guard in the medal cermony on the left hand side of the hall and someone who had been a stormtrooper. But there were a couple of names. I will start with my own personnal Star Wars hero.
Garrick Hagon
I have always felt for this guy. Garrick who? I hear you cry. Well if you are, you are not a true fan. This guy was Biggs Darklighter. He was written into the original script as Luke's best friend from Tatooine who later becomes a fighter pilot at the Battle of Yavin. The decision was taken to cut him out. The biggest film in history and you loose nearly all of your scenes and lines. Then to compound it, you don't even make it into the extended super duper version. Amonst all of us that have been betrayed by George Lucas, Garrick Hagon has possibly the biggest axe to grind.
Kenny Baker
Everyone remembers Kenny Baker as R2D2 but I also remember him being really good in Time Bandits. His health isn't so good these days.

Dave Prowse - the embodiment of evil
The body behind the Dark Lord him and the Green Cross Code Man as well. I always wanted him to do the voice. The thought of the ultimate evil in the galaxy sounding like a West country bumpkin still amuses me.

Some of the people who dress up should have a medal. It takes a real commitment to fandom and no fear to dress up. The first picture is of a guy who scared the bejesus out of my girlfriend.  He then turned and posed for a picture.
An absolute star.
Bob A Feet
This was one of the best costumes of the day. Again I was left thinking Boba Fett, I thought you'd be a bit taller.
Tusken Raider
This was another great costume. Couldn't quite do the voice though.

I have been having a bit of a bad time of late and this day out really cheered me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment